Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paleo pumpkin muffins

I've never made two posts in one day, but after making some delicious spiced pumpkin muffins this morning, I felt compelled to share these with you. While definitely not a low-calorie muffin, these are high up there on the healthy snack scale for sure. I'm designating these my perfect post-workout snack because they are high in protein, healthy fats, fiber, and contain pumpkin, a nutrient powerhouse, low-sugar fruit as its base (hello there, pumpkin. I'm in love with you, in any form). As a forewarning to those not used to baking with almond meal/flour, the texture is a little different than wheat flour, but the "off" texture is made up for in incredible moistness and flavor. I gave these to my kids and they passed their test with no questions asked or weird "what the hell are those?" looks. So go ahead and whip up this quick, one-bowl, gluten-free recipe. I dare you to eat just one.

Paleo Pumpkin Muffins
makes 9 big muffins

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup almond meal/flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup honey
dash of stevia, if desired (I added about 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
dark chocolate chips, if desired (I always desire this option)
walnuts, optional (I did not exercise this option)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients in a bowl- add a couple handfuls of chocolate chips, and/or walnuts if desired. Pour into muffin tins with cupcake liners or grease muffin tin well. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let them cool and then eat them all.


*Next time, I will add walnuts or slivered almonds for some crunch, and will try flax "eggs" instead (1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water= 1 egg)

*I tried these with 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 almond flour and it worked great; I also tried them with raw agave nectar and there was no notable difference. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment