Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My favorite thumbprint cookies (vegan)


It's no secret that I love chocolate - it's a key ingredient in most desserts I make. But every so often, I crave something different, a treat that's a little fruit-forward (and yes, I could REALLY go for a glass of wine right now). I stumbled upon this thumbprint cookie recipe from the Kind Diet website when I was on the vegan wagon. I assure you, these cookies are for cookie-lovers regardless of diet. I wanted to share them with you because they are super easy to make, really cute, and everyone loves them. Perfect for the lunch box or a ladies luncheon. Did I mention they are nutritious, too? Full of protein, healthy fats with no refined sugars and could easily be made gluten-free. Happy baking!

NOT YOUR GRAMMA'S THUMBPRINT COOKIES, adapted from the Kind Diet
SERVES 10

INGREDIENTS 
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup almonds
1 cup spelt flour (I've also had success with whole wheat flour)

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup corn or safflower oil (i think coconut oil would work great, but haven't tried it yet)
1/2 cup maple syrup (or half maple, half honey)
Fruit-sweetened jam of your choice (apricot is my favorite)

STEPS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Combine the oats and almonds in a blender or food processor and blend until they have the consistency of flour.
Pour into a large bowl, and add the spelt flour and salt.
In a small, separate bowl, mix the oil, maple syrup and vanilla together.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
Make 1 inch balls with your hands and press flat onto a cookie sheet.
Make an indentation with your thumb into the center of each cookie.
Fill each cookie with a teaspoon of jam.


Bake at 350 degrees for ~15 minutes.


*I'd love to know how these turn out when modified for gluten-free diets. If you have a chance to test it out with a GF flour option, let me know. I wonder if coconut flour would work? Then we'd appease so many of us - vegan, paleo, and gluten-free. Now thats a pleasing cookie!

No comments:

Post a Comment