Thursday, January 16, 2014

Miso Ginger Poached Salmon with Bok Choy


The beginnings to this recipe were a total nightmare. The idea was born at Trader Joe's while I was shopping with my four perfectly behaved children. Really relaxing, let me tell you. It's always the same drama just with different samples - this time Lowen spilled his red pepper soup sample on the ground, and I scrambled to clean it up while cursing on the inside (OK, maybe a little on the outside, too). As I was crouched over scrubbing (Georgia takes off running in a different direction and Byron is screaming), my eyes caught glimpse of a miso ginger broth that I've never seen before. They were storing it on the bottom shelf of a small display. I wouldn't have seen it had Lowen not caused a hot, red disaster. To be honest, this wouldn't normally excite me. I'm not really comfortable with Asian cooking - it's just a bit outside of my comfort zone, you know? Well, for whatever reason, that particular day I was struck by a vision - a foodie vision. I pictured poaching salmon in that broth with veggies, sort of like traditional miso soup but way better. As my vision lingered, nice mama returned, and I started throwing possible ingredients in my cart in my typical frantic-I've-Got-Four-kids-dont-judge-me fashion, never really knowing for sure what I'll end up with once I hit check-out.  I got lucky this time with all the right stuff in my cart.

I wanted to give you all (but especially my Re-Booters) a new take on salmon since poaching seems to be a thing of the past. Poaching is old school, but it results in some super tender, flavorful salmon. FYI, for Re-Booters, this is a week 5&6 recipe, as the miso broth contains gluten, sorry!! I had no idea miso is traditionally made with barley, wheat, or rye. There are GF miso pastes available, but I haven't tested them with this recipe yet. I've read that a combo of 4 cups water with 4 Tbsp of GF miso paste would work as a substitute for the broth in this recipe - let me know if you try it. Just be sure to add a touch more ginger if you make your own broth.

My recipe parameters haven't changed: I needed the recipe to be quick and doable for a weeknight, but  good enough for company. The final product turned out so so good. I definitely did a little happy dance, I won't lie. Mission Japanese food: Accomplished.

Miso Ginger Poached Salmon with Bok Choy
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 container miso ginger broth (Trader Joe's), 32 oz
1 1-inch piece ginger, skinned, and finely diced (or shredded)
2 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
8 oz mushrooms (I used crimini), sliced
1 container bok choy from Trader Joe's (about 6 oz)
salt and pepper
4 5-oz pieces salmon, salted with S&P
toasted sesame oil
sesame seeds

2- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

Directions:

Make rice according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, prepare the poaching liquid by heating broth in large saucepan. Add sliced green onion, mushrooms, grated or diced fresh ginger. Bring to a boil. Add bok choy. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove bok choy. Add seasoned salmon pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes or until flaky with poaching liquid at a simmer (not a hard boil). Remove fish pieces, set aside.

In bowls, divide rice evenly. Pour broth and veggies over rice. Top with a piece of salmon. Drizzle salmon with a little sesame oil and sesame seeds.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Has got around a couple of days or weeks ability save for H-10 3rd party exercise, so that the fake watches within the common feeling for convenience for style is certainly more durable together with well-performing semi-automatic or fully automatic replica watches sale for nonproductive sunday holds functioning. Vacation at the same time setting up an innovative khaki niche 2 bottle 2014 work schedule range, which happens to be placed on the same few rolex replica sale has also around a couple of days or weeks ability save, may be a "calendar", "weeks" 2 bottle work schedule indicate any brush within the see. Hublot replacement english may be a fake breitling navy mode, through around 100 thousand thousand have already been fabricated across the armed forces timer, first-class superior together with well-performing, is among the most most famous navy mode. Present-day khaki niche 2 bottle hublot replica structure effortless together with demanding, sexy navy style of true magnanimity gushing released.

    ReplyDelete