Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Buckwheat Quinoa Granola (Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar Free)


The 6-week ReBoot is technically over and I'm flooded with recipes I never got around to posting - so stay tuned for a lot more gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free recipes that are friggin delish! But first let me introduce you to this super crunchy, share-worthy granola. I found this recipe at just the right moment in my life. Let me explain. There aren't many bad habits I have missed during the Reboot- even my dessert habit is a thing of the past (hallelujah! a true miracle!), but I have to say, one thing I deeply missed was breakfast cereal. Quick, crunchy, sweet, just easy.  But as I have come to rely less on packaged, processed foods, this morning tradition needs to stay kicked to the curb for the most part. I began searching for a gluten-free granola recipe that used raw buckwheat groats, just like the one I love from Whole Foods for $9/bag. That stuff just makes me feel so cool and healthy when I carry it around in my cart. Even if its the only thing in my cart. Anyway, I also wanted to use these adorable quinoa flakes I found at WF, along with some goji berries I bought in bulk (super pricey but you don't actually need that much). I based my recipe off of Bird Seed Granola from Healthful Pursuit - seriously, isn't that the cutest name for a granola? To ensure plenty of crunch, I added uncooked quinoa to the mix. Sounds odd, but it totally works and couldn't be easier! Along with some chopped figs, almonds, pepitas, coconut, cacao nibs, and some other random pantry finds, this is quickly becoming my favorite treat. Not too sweet, and nowhere near as expensive as Lydia's cereal. It's great by itself, or with greek yogurt. I even love it warm with some almond milk. I can't say I've converted my kids or hubby to eating it, but that's just fine. More for me. They'll come around eventually.

Mission Crazy Good Hippie Granola: Accomplished

BUCKWHEAT QUINOA GRANOLA
serves: a lot

Dry Ingredients:
2 1/4 C buckwheat groats, raw
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 C white quinoa, uncooked
3 Tbsp coconut flakes, unsweetened
1/2 C each sunflower and pepitas seeds
2/3 C chopped raw almonds
3 Tbsp ground flax meal
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp Berry Bliss powder by Philosophie, optional
2 Tbsp coconut sugar, optional
healthy pinch of salt

Wet Ingredients:
1/4 C raw honey
1/4 C maple syrup
3 Tbsp almond butter
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla

Add-Ins:
2/3 C dried, chopped figs
1/2 C goji berries
couple handfuls of cacao nibs, optional
(any dried fruit would be good, really)

Method:

Preheat oven to 300. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
Over medium heat, combine wet ingredients. Stir until completely combined and warm. Pour wet ingredients over dry mixture, and stir well to coat. Place mixture on large, rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Remove from oven and add your dried fruit and cacao nibs. Store in airtight container or ziplock bags. Freezes well. Enjoy!

*UPDATE: I've tried this recipe substituting hemp seeds for sunflower seeds and loved the result (and the major protein boost). I've also been told that Gluten Free oats make a great substitute for the buckwheat groats. Love a flexible recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment