Friday, May 17, 2013

Apple Turkey Burgers with Brie and Caramelized Onions with Baked Garlic Parmesan fries

I love me a good burger - beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, salmon, whatever. Just give me some grilled protein with cheese and bread and I'm pretty much content (except I will need dessert, you know). I admit that before yesterday, I have never made this variation of a turkey burger- and for whatever reason, it wouldn't be a recipe I'd normally want to test out -  but I got a new cookbook that raved about using grated apples in turkey burgers, and when I Googled it, sure enough, apple turkey burgers are super hot right now. And who doesn't like to be a bit trendy? After comparing too many recipes, I decided to base my recipe off a blog onceuponacuttingboard.com. I added more stuff to the burger meat, but our recipes are pretty similar. For the fries, I used a recipe from Cookin Canuck- I followed her recipe closely except I increased the oven temperature based on other recipes I found on epicurious. And the results...a very good dinner. I think everyone cleaned their plates - and my burgers were HUGE. While they needed a bit more salt for my taste, they were so moist and the flavors were spot-on. Next time, I'll serve the burgers on whole grain English muffins to reduce the carb load which also means I'll have to shrink my burgers down to a normal size but hey, I won't be pregnant and eating for 6- I mean two- forever. 

APPLE TURKEY BURGERS WITH BRIE AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
adapted from Once Upon a Cutting Board
Makes 3 big burgers

Ingredients:

4 small yellow onions, peeled and sliced into half-moons (or 2 larger yellow onions)
1 tablespoon olive oil
S/P

1 lb lean ground turkey
2 granny smith apples, divided
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp parsley, minced
1 Tbsp chives, chopped fine
1/2 tsp Salt and pepper, each

6 slices Brie cheese
3 hamburger buns
dijon
baby spinach

Directions:

Start by caramelizing the onions, as this step can take up to half an hour.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions, stir to coat with oil, and season with salt and pepper.  Spread onions out evenly across the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.  Don’t stir the onions too often so they can brown, but don’t leave them alone long enough to burn or stick to the pan.  You may need to reduce the heat or add a splash of water to deglaze the pan a few times to prevent onions from burning.  Once they’re done, set aside in a small bowl.  This step can be done ahead of time and onions can be warmed up in the microwave before topping burger.

Grate one apple for using in the turkey burger and keep the second apple aside for topping the burger later.  Prepare turkey burgers by gently mixing ground turkey, grated apple, Dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, thyme, sage, parsley, chives, garlic, onion powder, and salt and pepper in a bowl.  Form into four patties, being careful not to overwork the mixture. 

Prep hot grill by spraying with cooking spray.  Cook turkey burgers until cooked through (center no longer pink, juices run clear, internal temperature of 165°F), about 5 minutes per side.  Add 2 slices of brie cheese to each burger about 2-3 minutes before it’s done cooking so the brie can melt slightly.

Thinly slice the second apple.  Top each bun with a turkey burger (with brie), sliced apples, and caramelized onions, spinach, and dijon. 

Baked French Fries with Parsley, Garlic & Parmesan Cheese
Adapted from a Cooking Canuck
4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), unpeeled
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced ( I used garlic powder and it worked great)
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut potatoes lengthwise into slices that are 1/3-inch thick and then cut each slice into 1/3-inch thick strips. Dry the potatoes between paper towels or kitchen towels. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, olive oil, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Divide the potatoes between 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spread into a single layer.
Bake until the potatoes are golden brown, about 45 minutes, turning the potatoes every 10 minutes and rotating the racks halfway through baking.
Place the cooked potatoes in a large bowl and toss with garlic, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Taste (careful – they’ll be hot!) and season with additional salt if necessary. Serve.
Makes 4 servings.

3 comments: